MEDICAL LICENSING EXAMINATION
The Federation of State Medical Boards establishes public trust with a rigorous examination system for those who seek a license to practice medicine.
FSMB collaborates with the National Board of Medical Examiners to provide assessment tools to assist State Medical Boards with medical licensing decisions, including the:
UNITED STATES MEDICAL LICENSING EXAMINATION® (USMLE®) is designed to assess a physician's ability to apply knowledge, concepts and principles, and to demonstrate fundamental patient centered skills.
IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT REGARDING CHANGES TO STEP 3:
- Registration for the current Step 3 examination will end July 18, 2014.
- Registration for the restructured Step 3 examination will begin August 2014.
- No Step 3 examinations will be administered during most or all of October 2014.
- There will be a substantial score delay following introduction of the restructured Step 3 examination in November 2014. The duration of the score delay will be determined by examinee volume during the early months of exam administration. Based on historic trends, we estimate that the first scores for Step 3 exams taken on or after November 1, 2014 will be released during the first week of April 2015.
POST-LICENSURE ASSESSMENT SYSTEM (PLAS) provides two independent yet complementary diagnostic tools for evaluating the ongoing competence of licensed or previously licensed physicians.
- Special Purpose Examination (SPEX) evaluates the current medical knowledge of physicians who are some years away from having passed a national medical licensing examination.
- Clinical competence assessment resources, offers physician evaluation and remediation programs around the country.
The 2014 Step 3 application cycle runs through July 18, 2014.